- Design for manufacture project on a rear casing for a remote controlled mower product.
- To replicate a product made from a composite material
- To ensure cost effective manufacture comparable to composite product
What we did
- Met with the customer to understand the requirements and review the design
- Reduced folding requirements from two operators to one
- Introduced break-off tabs to aid operator and speed-up complex folding operations
- Designed two jigs for integration with robot welder; one to hold the part in place and one for checking fixture for tolerance,
- Jigs allowed for part to be fully welded on the robot welder.
- Casing linished to create smooth continuous finish
- Prototype produced for review and customer approval
- Successful replication of composite product
- Opportunity identified by design team to reduce the number of welds by further changing the folding. Second sample produced.
- Several units manufactured with view to regular repeats in the future.